[Translator’s notes appear in square brackets.]

[Personal information has been redacted.]

[The excerpt below is from the section of the article that pertains to the Baha’i Faith]


[Newspaper:] Vatan-e Emrooz

[Date:] Monday, 8 Mordad 1397 [30 July 2018]

[Issue No.:] 2498

[Page:] 12


Suspicious Events that Mark the Destiny of a Nation in Favour of Aliens

Mysteries of a murder in Tehran

In the afternoon of Friday, 27 Tir 1303 [17 July 1924], it being a holiday and also because of the excitement of a miracle rumour, a massive crowd of men and women had gathered around a public drinking fountain.

Major Ambry, the [deputy consulate-general] of the U.S. in Tehran, accompanied by Seymour, came to the crossroad. After coming to the place, Ambry started shooting pictures with his camera.  At first the crowd tried to prevent him, believing that he was taking pictures of the women, so he changed the location of his work and continued, but people tried to block his view by placing hats in front of his camera.

Mustafa Fateh said, “A police officer advised the major that attempting to shoot was dangerous at that moment, and Ambry accepted the advice and he went toward his carriage. But the mob later started attacking him, believing that he had already taken the photos and that he had also attempted to poison the fountain, not knowing that he was a U.S. consulate [staff person].”

Other historians report that, “After the first hindrance of the mob, he persisted by putting up his tripod to finish his job, but seeing the people’s threat, he retreated, trying to go towards the carriage with Seymour.”

According to Malek’u’l Shoara Bahar, at that moment some motor bikers stopped by and agitated the people against Ambry. Sayyad Hussein Makki said, “One of these bikers was Mustafa Fateh, a future head at British Petroleum, who was shouting, “This person is Baha’i and is attempting to poison the water-fountain”. His action caused the mob to attack [Ambry]. Mehdy Farrokh (Mutasemos - Saltaneh) confirms this account and says that one of the three bikers shouted, “These Americans are friends with the Baha’is, who receive them in their country. Watch out for them!” The third motor-biker said, “What are you waiting for? Go ahead and kill them!” And people attacked them. The mob rushed their way to the carriage and started to hit him.

The interference of a few military persons in this event was also obvious. The carriage hastened toward Estakhr Street, and the people kept throwing rocks and other objects at them and also followed them. In Estakhr Street, the carriage driver was injured and a military person replaced him to drive the carriage. In Hassanabad, the pedestrians and followers shot down the second driver, too, who died the next day of severe injuries.

The carriage made it to the entrance of the garrison house. Ambry rushed into a tea house. As he was defending himself, he was able to run up to the garrison house, and he took refuge there, as the throwing of the rocks continued. There, a soldier [hit] him with a kind of sword [machete] and he was knocked on the ground.

A police patrol rushed to the scene and took him from Jalilabad Street to the hospital. Yet the people did not stop trying; they finally killed him with the last blow.