[PROVISIONAL TRANSLATION FROM PERSIAN]
[Translator’s notes appear in square brackets]
[Personal information has been redacted.]
In the Name of God
Islamic Republic of Iran
The Supreme Revolutionary Cultural Council
Date: 6 Esfand 1369 [25 February 1991]
Hojjatol-Islam Mr. Mohammad Golpayegani
Head of the Office of the Esteemed Leader [Khamenei]
After greetings, with reference to the letter number 1-783S dated 10 Dey 1369 [31 December 1990], concerning the instructions of the Esteemed Leader which had been conveyed to the Respected President regarding the Baha’i question, we inform you that, since the respected President and the Head of the Supreme Revolutionary Cultural Council had referred this question to this Council for consideration and study, it was placed on the Council’s agenda of session number 128 on 16 Bahman 1369 [5 February 1991] and session number 119 of 2 Bahman 1369 [22 January 1991]. In addition to the above, and further to the [results of the] discussions held in this regard in session number 112 of 2 Mordad 1366 [24 July 1987] presided over by the Esteemed Leader (head and member of the Supreme Council), the recent views and directives given by the Esteemed Leader regarding the Baha’i question were conveyed to the Supreme Council. In consideration of the contents of the Constitution of the Islamic Republic of Iran, as well as the religious and civil laws and general policies of the country, these matters were carefully studied and decisions pronounced.
In arriving at the decisions and proposing reasonable ways to counter the above question, due consideration was given to the wishes of the Esteemed Leadership of the Islamic Republic of Iran [Khamenei], namely, that “in this regard a specific policy should be devised in such a way that everyone will understand what should or should not be done.” Consequently, the following proposals and recommendations resulted from these discussions.
The respected President of the Islamic Republic of Iran, as well as the Head of the Supreme Revolutionary Cultural Council, while approving these recommendations, instructed us to convey them to the Esteemed Leader [Khamenei] so that appropriate action may be taken according to his guidance.
Summary of the results of the discussions and recommendation
A. General status of the Baha’is within the country’s system
- They will not be expelled from the country without reason.
- They will not be arrested, imprisoned, or penalized without reason.
- The government’s dealings with them must be in such a way that their progress and development are blocked.
B. Educational and cultural status
- They can be enrolled in schools provided they have not identified themselves as Baha’is.
- Preferably, they should be enrolled in schools which have a strong and imposing religious ideology.
- They must be expelled from universities, either in the admission process or during the course of their studies, once it becomes known that they are Baha’is.
- Their political (espionage) activities must be dealt with according to appropriate government laws and policies, and their religious and propaganda activities should be answered by giving them religious and cultural responses, as well as propaganda.
- Propaganda institutions (such as the Islamic Propaganda Organization) must establish an independent section to counter the propaganda and religious activities of the Baha’is.
- A plan must be devised to confront and destroy their cultural roots outside the country.
C. Legal and social status
- Permit them a modest livelihood as is available to the general population.
- To the extent that it does not encourage them to be Baha’is, it is permissible to provide them the means for ordinary living in accordance with the general rights given to every Iranian citizen, such as ration booklets, passports, burial certificates, work permits, etc.
- Deny them employment if they identify themselves as Baha’is.
- Deny them any position of influence, such as in the educational sector, etc.
Wishing you divine confirmations
Secretary of the Supreme Revolutionary Cultural Council
Dr. Seyyed Mohammad Golpayegani
[Handwritten note at the bottom of the page]
In the Name of God!
The decision of the Supreme Revolutionary Cultural Council seems sufficient.
I thank you gentlemen for your attention and efforts.
Seyyed Ali Khamenei