Ezzatollah Atefi

Born: 1927, Afus, Isfahan

Executed in Daran, Isfahan on 11 September 1981


Ezzatollah Atefi was born into a Baha’i family.  He was a member of the Local Spiritual Assembly[1] of Afus and in 1955 he married. During his wedding ceremony the house was attacked by a stone throwing mob.  The attack was so intense that policemen had to guard the home to allow the ceremony to proceed.

On 26 June 1981, at 8 pm, the loudspeakers of the Afus mosque announced that the Chief Judge of the Islamic Court of Faridan had ordered that the Baha’is cooperate with the Pasdars who were to collect and take them to the mosque.  Ezzatollah Atefi and his brother, Bahman Atefi, were taken from their home at 9 pm to the mosque.  Ezzatollah Atefi refused to enter the mosque to recant his faith but rather confirmed it.  This resulted in his arrest.  His brother, Bahman Atefi, did the same and was also arrested.  They were imprisoned in Daran, Isfahan.  Then on 11 September 1981, after some two months of imprisonment, they were executed by firing squad, together with three other believers, Ataollah Rawhani, Ahmad Rezvani and Goshtasb Sabet-Rasekh.  The bodies of Bahman Atefi and Ezzatollah Atefi were taken back to Afus and buried in the Baha’i cemetery in the presence of a few family members and the Revolutionary guards.  The family was not permitted to bury the bodies in coffins or to perform the Baha’i burial laws.  The bodies of Ataollah Rawhani, Ahmad Rezvani and Goshtasb Sabet-Rasekh were probably buried by the authorities in a Muslim cemetery in Chikan.  Their immediate family and Baha’i relatives were not informed of their execution or burial. 



(This brief biographical note is based on the best available information. If you find any inaccuracies, or any important facts omitted, please email us through the Contact page.)





[1] Local Spiritual Assembly: a nine-member administrative body elected annually by the Baha’is of a particular area, tasked with overseeing the affairs of the Baha’i community of that area.