[PROVISIONAL TRANSLATION FROM PERSIAN]
[Translator’s notes appear in square brackets]
[Personal information has been redacted.]
The Difficult Task of Monitoring Constitutional Compliance
Section 7, Minorities
[Page:] 608, 609
In the Name of God
Dated 2 Esfand 1378 [21 February 2000]
Offices of governors across the country,
Respected Political Intelligence Deputies
We hereby attach and send the copies of the memorandum issued by the offices of the [National] Organization for Civil Registration regarding the annulment of Clause 41 of the Registration Memorandum that had required the need to write in the religion of the couple in order to record their marriage. Based on the [recent] aforementioned memorandum, recording the marriages of couples without listing their religion, whether they are from non-Islamic sects or unofficial religions, is now allowed. Therefore, we request that you issue the appropriate order for action in this regard.
Deputy Minister and Executive Political Director
- Dr. Mehrpour, esteemed Head of the Committee for Investigation and Oversight of Enforcement of the Constitution, for your information and with gratitude for the actions you have taken to expand the respect for the rights of Iranian citizens as much as possible.
- Mr. Tajzadeh, esteemed political and social deputy, for your information.
- Mr. Mohaghar, esteemed deputy for legal and [Islamic] Consultative Assembly affairs, for your information.
- Mr. Ansari Lari, deputy minister of the interior and head of the [National] Organization for Civil Registration, for your information.
- Secretariat of Supreme National Security Council, Mr. Mousavian, for your information.
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs - esteemed director general of international social affairs, for your information and any necessary action.
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs - esteemed director general of international political affairs, for your information, and if necessary distribution to the international organizations related to human rights issues, as applicable.
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs - esteemed general manager of consular affairs.
- Fourth Division, to be recorded in the file.
 From a book: The Difficult Task of Monitoring Constitutional Compliance- Vazifeh Doshvar-e Nezarat bar Ejraeh Ghanoon-e Asasee 1376 – 1384 (1997-2006). Dr. Hosein Mehrpour, Tehran, Saales Publication, 1384 (2005)