[PROVISIONAL TRANSLATION FROM PERSIAN]
[Translator’s notes appear in square brackets]
[Personal information has been redacted.]
[Governorate of Abadeh, no number, date: 31 Ordibehesht 1324 [21 May 1954]
At 9:00 a.m. on Sunday, 31 Ordibehesht 1334 [21 May 1954], the fifth Public Safety Commission met at the meeting hall of the Governorate, by invitation of the governorate office and in the presence of the undersigned.
- The telegraphic decree number 12166/40209 of the Ministry of the Interior was read for the benefit of the members of the Commission. Since the content of the decree was related to the prohibition of the gatherings that were disruptive to law and order and triggered religious strife, to which the disciplinary agents had already been paying constant attention, for the smooth running of subsequent affairs, necessary warnings were given to the disciplinary officers (the commander of the gendarmerie and the head of the Abadeh police headquarters).
- The telegraphic decree number 12171/4082 of the Ministry of the Interior, regarding paying necessary respect to the legal religious minorities (Christian, Jewish and Zoroastrian) was read. All members of the Commission agreed that these minorities would continue to live their normal lives in utmost comfort and tranquillity, in accordance with the current laws of the country. Certainly this same trend will be followed.
- The complaint of Messrs. Nourollah Hadipour and Rouhollah Jalali, dated 30 Ordibehesht 1334 [21 May 1955], regarding the destruction of the Baha’i cemetery—named Golestan-e Javid [The eternal rose-garden]—in Nosrat Abad Village in the vicinity of Abadeh, and the breaking of its tombstones, as well as [the felling of] its trees by Muslim residents, was read. Since this matter had already been referred to the gendarmerie and police headquarters of Abadeh under case number 15/M of 30 Ordibehesht 1334 [21 May 1955] for the investigation, the mentioned agents were directed to arrest the perpetrators as soon as possible and submit the case for further decision-making to the Safety Commission.
- Regarding the general situation of the region and the necessity of maintaining the public security and total vigilance during the Eid al-Fitr [Festivity of Fitr], the necessary consultation was carried out. It was agreed that the commander of the gendarmerie and the head of the police headquarters would take full care to prevent any sinister incident.
- Since, according to the statements of the gendarmerie commander and the head of the police headquarters, the soldiers from Shiraz sent to reinforce Abadeh’s gendarmerie and police have returned to Shiraz, and the current number of the gendarmes and policemen is not sufficient to handle unusual situations, it was decided to report the matter on behalf of the governor to the Fars Governorate Office and demand the immediate return of the said troops, in order to form at least a complete regiment with the existing troops.
The Governor of the City of Abadeh: Eftekhari [signature];
Head of Finance: Sahebekhtiary [signature];
Head of the Court: Sharafi [signature];
Gendarmerie Commander: Colonel Mobed [signature];
Head of the Police of Abadeh: Azizollah Hekmat [signature]