[PROVISIONAL TRANSLATION FROM PERSIAN]
[Translator’s notes appear in square brackets.]
[Personal information has been redacted.]
[The excerpt below is from the section of the article that pertains to the Baha’i Faith]
[Newspaper:] Khabar-e Jonub
[Date:] Saturday 12 Ordibehesht 1360 [2 May 1981]
[Issue No:] 337
Three Individuals Were Executed by Firing Squad in Shiraz
Three individuals accused of espionage in favour of Zionism, cooperation with the previous regime and membership in the Zionist organization of Baha’ism, were executed by firing squad in Shiraz. Regarding this matter, the following statement from the Public Relations [department] of the Islamic Republic Court of Justice was provided:
In the Name of God, the Powerful Avenger
International Zionism has lost three of its agents. On 10 Ordibehesht 1360 [30 April 1981], three of the agents of the international Zionist regime in the region, among whom was Colonel Vahdat, who was the dangerous spy and Zionist link in the country and abroad, were executed in Shiraz by the order of the Islamic Republic Court of Justice. The three were: retired Colonel Yadollah Vahdat, son of Mokhtar; Sattar Khoshkhou, son of Ali, and Ehsanollah Mehdi-Zadeh, son of Khan-Agha. Some of the charges and accusations against the mentioned [individuals] are as follows:
- Trying to strengthen the despised Pahlavi regime;
- Membership in the Western Asia Espionage Organization in relation to imperialism and Zionism.
- Active participation in the Zionist organization of Baha’ism.
- Control of the clergy and spiritual leaders of Shiraz during the Islamic Revolution.
- Striving to spread the heretical culture and [atheism], especially among the villagers and pure-hearted tribal people.
- Trying to open the grave of one of the Muslims, in order to send the remains [of someone] to Israel, with the help of devotees of the previous regime, “the governor general of the time” and custodian of the Shahcheragh Shrine.
- Connection with important links to international imperialism, such as Brand Scott [sic], close associate of Jimmy Carter, the previous president of [the United States].
- Distribution of cash received from Haifa, Israel, for spreading heretical ideas, enmity with Islam, creating disturbance and riot with the aim of advancing the goals of wicked Zionist Baha’ism in the area.
- [Missing in original]
- Affiliation with foreign countries such as England, India, Kuwait and Israel in relation to espionage activities, during numerous journeys.
- Preparation of statistics and thorough information from the rural and tribal areas to be sent to Israel.
- Openly insulting and cursing—God forbid—the Honourable Prophet, Holy Imams and stating profanity about Islam.
- Planning for the migration [of Baha’is] and propagation, etc., in different areas of the country, such as the Provinces of Fars, Bushehr, Kohgiluyeh and Boyer Ahmad, Isfahan, Yazd, Kerman, Azerbaijan, etc., and tens of other crimes.
Therefore, after a few days of trial, the [orders for the] execution and the order to confiscate the properties, with the exception of a residential home and its furniture for each family [of the accused] were carried out after approval from the Supreme Court of Justice, at 7:00 after sunset on 10 Ordibehesht 1360 [30 April 1981].
The Islamic Republic Revolutionary Court of Shiraz– Public Relations