[Translator’s notes appear in square brackets]

[Personal information has been redacted.]


The Event of Boroujen of Isfahan


On 23 Tir 1325 [14 July 1946], Mr. Esma’il Vahedian, one of the Baha’is of Boroujen, together with some Baha’i youth, were planning to travel to Isfahan. As soon as their car started moving, a group of thugs who were incited by Seyyed Fakhr Shari’at, the notary office manager; Mr. Zia Madani, the preacher; Seyyed Hosein Madani, the mayor of Borujen; and Seyyed Yahya Sotoudeh, an inspector from the Department of Education of Isfahan, hastened to block the car from moving [in order] to prevent Vahedian from travelling to Isfahan.

Since they did not find him [Vahedian] in the car, they rushed towards the Haziratu’l-Quds of the Baha’is, which is their administrative centre. On the way to the Haziratu’l-Quds, they broke the door and windows of the shop of Lotfollah Homayouni, who is a tailor. Seeing the mob’s attack and the rushing crowd, after entering the Haziratu’l-Quds, Mr. Vahedian and a few others took refuge on the roof. They were asked to climb down from the roof, while [being] promised by Madani that they would disperse the crowd.

Trusting the promise of Madani, the mayor, they descended from the roof. Madani started to beat Mr. Fereidoun Vahedi himself, and encouraged the crowd also to attack the group. The thugs injured Messrs. Esma’il Vahedian and Abdor-Razzagh Vahedian and beat up Mahmoud Yazdani, Ebrahim Vahedian, and also the wife of Agha Abbas-Quli Motamedi and some other women with sticks and stones. They [also] plundered some furniture and belongings of the Haziratu’l-Quds.

The crowd was dispersed only after the intervention of the army. Kalhoroudi and Madani presented themselves at the army barracks and threatened to cut the Baha’i refugees into pieces. Still, the threats of Madani were fresh. Yahya Sotudeh, Madani’s cousin, in consultation with Seyyed Fakhr, the [manager] of the notary office, while standing in the street where the Haziratu’l-Quds is located, addressed the crowd by shouting and encouraging them to plunder the Haziratu’l-Quds. The mob rushed madly towards the Haziratu’l-Quds, breaking the doors and windows and burning the furniture, carpets, books and any other things they could find. [The mob] cut and uprooted more than five hundred trees and shrubs in the gardens and destroyed and desolated part of the building, also burning and plundering the furniture of the caretaker of the Haziratu’l-Quds.

The condition of Mr. Esma’il Vahedian was worse than the rest of those who were beaten up and injured. After all these acts were finished, the public crier shouted in the street and invited all the inhabitants between the ages of 7 and 70 who considered themselves Muslims to take refuge at the Telegraph Office. The refugees sent baseless telegrams to cover their savage acts, which was [unlike it has been] in any barbaric countries these days. They sent telegrams to government authorities and the council of clergy and newspapers and blamed the beaten, injured and plundered Baha’is as the responsible party.


Kalhoroudy and Madani, both government agents, are, in truth, the principal inciters of this tragic event. 

[Handwritten note:] [Stamp: Registered at the Office of the Prime Minister, number: 23267, date: 19 Mordad 1325 [10 August 1946]