[PROVISIONAL TRANSLATION FROM PERSIAN]
[Translator’s notes appear in square brackets]
[Personal information has been redacted.]
Dated 9 Khordad 1358 [30 May 1979]
For the attention of the esteemed editor of (Gozareshe Rouz) magazine
With respect, given the high standards and ethical duties to which the followers of the Baha’i Faith— whether in Iran or other countries in the world—hold the founders of the mass media as causes and agents of investigation of the truth and illumination of the public thought in civilized nations, the publication of some topics in issues numbers 10 (dated 27 Ordibehesht 1358 [17 May 1979]) and 11 (dated 3 Khordad 1358 [24 May 1979]) of that respected magazine, based solely on a set of statements and without reliance on any documentation or adherence to the truth, cannot be in line with preserving the balance, dignity, and credibility of your esteemed magazine. Nor can it be a cause of providing guidance to your readers. Therefore, we hope that by informing you of the following points, we might be able to assist in the realization of the valuable goals and sincere motivations of the authorities and writers responsible for the Gozareshe Rouz magazine.
- The Baha’i Faith is a divine global religion, not a “sect” (the article related to Daryoush Homayoun – number 10, page 15), and any person who believes in the spiritual principles and civil ordinances of the Baha’i Faith can neither go near political matters, nor hold any political position.
- Lieutenant General Dr. Ayadi (the article published in number 11, page 3) was a regular Baha’i individual and had no position or duties in the administrative order of the Baha’i community of Iran. He was never a member of the National Spiritual Assembly of the Baha’is of Iran nor any other Baha’i administrative body.
- Followers of the Baha’i Faith believe in the oneness of humankind and the oneness of the truth in all religions and the truth and authenticity of divine messengers. They uphold the truth and high station of His Highness, the sacred Messenger, and the pure Imams and the teachings of Islam. Therefore, no Baha’i international conference or congress can be held on anything other than providing proofs of the truth of divine religions, elimination of racial prejudice, and confirmation of the spiritual oneness of divine Messengers.
- Based on the spiritual principles and ordinances of the Baha’i Faith, and because this Faith believes in the truth of the luminous religion of Islam, and is rooted in divine teachings, it cannot, God forbid, move in a direction contrary to or in opposition to Islam, or, in the words of your magazine, be a “hard-core enemy” of that luminous religion.
- It is our hope that the responsible authorities of your respected magazine, after careful research and adequate investigation, will prove to themselves and their readers that, if any writings and books have been found at the home of Dr. Ayadi that are Baha’i books, they cannot be in opposition to Islam or the Shi’a belief, or any other religions or beliefs.
With expressions of respect,
On behalf of the Baha’i Community of Iran
Dr. Hosein Naji [Signature]
Manouher Ghaem-Maghami [Signature]