[Translator’s notes appear in square brackets.]

[Personal information has been redacted.]

[The excerpt below is from the section of the article that pertains to the Baha’i Faith]


[Newspaper:] Atash

[Date:] 6 Dey 1334 [28 December 1955]

[Issue No.:] 1544


42 Residents and a Gendarme Accused of Murder Were Arrested and Handed Over to Judiciary Today

The Defendants Arrived in Tehran by Bus Last Night With 50 Gendarmes

Today, in the corridors of the provincial court of the Ministry of Justice, unlike every [other] day, there was a lot of tumult and commotion. Fifty people, who appeared to be villagers, sat on the ground and whispered to each other while an armed gendarme stood in front of each of them.

The reporter of Atash Newspaper ... met with one of the officials of the provincial court and asked questions about this issue…

The official … said, “The people you see here are accused of killing several Baha’is who were killed in the Village of Sakhvid, 12 leagues away from the Village of Mehriz of [the City of] Yazd, a few months ago. Since the number of accused in this incident is high, the law enforcement and judicial officers of Yazd have been working to arrest all of them and send them to the centre [capital] after completing the case report…

Our correspondent asked the official about the number of defendants. He stated that during this incident, 42 residents of the Village of Sakhvid and one gendarme, who was in charge of these people, were accused.

For more information ... our correspondent called one of the gendarmes and asked him some questions.  The gendarme said, “The people of Sakhvid Village are very bigoted, and at the time that actions were taking place against the Baha’is in most cities, and even in the centre [capital], their Hazirat’ul-Quds was occupied. The people of this village also rose up against the Baha’is to kill them, and 15 Baha’is were killed in an extensive clash between the two sides. Among them were several women and two or three children…

Today, these people were brought to the court with the [small amount of] equipment and luggage they had brought with them. These 42 people were guarded by 50 gendarmes.

At noon today, they were taken out of court again and allegedly handed over to a temporary prison so that after investigations, their situation could be clarified.